Tuesday 17 April 2007

Introduction

Hello to anybody that may be reading this. Yes, I have started a blog. A music blog, to be precise. I, like many people, listen to a lot of music and I find myself thinking a great deal about it. Recently I had a sudden urge to write these thoughts down and where better to do so than here? Part of the inspiration for this was from Nick Hornby's book '31 Songs' (a collection of essays about songs) which, upon reading it, drew from me the reaction that "this is exactly what I think about". I don't want to rip off the book though. I've credited it (and I recommend it - it's a good read) but hopefully there will be a limited number of suspicious parallels between Hornby's book and this blog.

I'm quite self-conscious about writing a blog. In fact I can't even type the word "blog" without experiencing an internal cringe. I actually had to re-type the word just then; due to the cringe...I'd initially typed "lbog" which I believe is French (L'Bog - literally "a lake of poo"). Anyway, the point is that I'm a little bit ashamed of myself for starting a blog, a feeling that will either disappear or get worse as I continue (I've already been completely ridiculed for this blog, even before I'd finished the first post! If anyone sees Tim Hansard, give him a swift kick to the buttocks). I'm not going to write about myself - there are more than enough of these types of blogs at the moment. I'm not planning to get an Internet girlfriend/boyfriend/transgenderedfriend. No, this blog will be about music; my reflexions on different songs, artists, styles and anything else that falls within this framework.
Please leave comments if you like!

16 comments:

The Borg said...

I like the title...

(Not trying to damn you with faint praise - your first post is good too. ;) )

Bring it on.

Cabernet Leather said...

Thanks!

I can't take credit for the title though - it's a Bob Dylan song.

ckjolly said...

you just want an american girlfriend

Cabernet Leather said...

Oh dear, you saw straight through me.

Axel and Manny said...

What about a Spanish girlfriend??

Nice intro pedders, wishing you many an interesting post.

Cabernet Leather said...

Thanks mate!

Spanish girlfriend, now we're talking!
I wonder if Penelope Cruz has a blog?

Anonymous said...

sorry deri no offense mate, all the best champ!..look foward your posts on this music blog..sure it will be awesome maaan. Tim

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the self-consciousness will subside in due course. My first post was horribly self-conscious.

Shiloh's is here.

Cabernet Leather said...

Well John, at least you've got the excuse that your first post was 4 years ago...mine was last week!

Is "Blurty" a poor man's "blogger"?

Anonymous said...

Definitely!

The Borg said...

OMG How embarrassment.

Daisy said...

Hi there. Nice to meet you!

Angus said...

Wow Shiloh, I have absolutely no recollection of that conversation. I can't even remember what I was talking about with the Dutch heirs to the throne.

I do, however, remember making fun of your Social Ecology class.

Unknown said...

I'll have to find this book you speak of. I, too am on the journey to musical enlightment through wordsmithing. Visit my site www.myspace.com/tasgigs
I am pleased to find another like-minded individual. I hope to see you at a gig sometime and we can share our musical ramblings.
- Lisa (wife of David)
ps. The Ramshacklers is Dave's band, playing at the loft on 24 May. Hope you can come!
(Gratuitous advertisements for my stuff on your site will now cease...)

Cabernet Leather said...

Thanks Lisa,
I'll check out the myspace.
The book is well worth a read for any music enthusiast.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.