Wednesday 2 May 2007

WeatherWatch


If you’re a late TV watcher, you will no doubt, have come across “WeatherWatch” on SBS. It’s not exactly the most…um…eventful of programs but if you are a keen follower of meteorology and/or an insomniac then it may just be your favourite show (I’m waiting for the DVD box set). It also happens to be the cultural hub of music in Australia. The likes of Norah Jones, Il Divo and Aled “it’s all gone wrong for me” Jones are all headline acts on the WeatherWatch stage. It’s a more soothing (or perhaps “numbing”) alternative to Rage. If you’ve got no idea what I’m talking about, it’s a map, much like the one pictured, accompanied by a CD that plays over and over again (Yes I have checked. They don’t change the CD when it finishes. Obviously there wasn’t much else on TV that night.). You can order the CD from Dymocks, if you really like it.

So far, I haven’t really been tempted to ring up the hotline and place an order. Only two albums have come close to making the grand claim of getting me to consider a purchase; one, a compilation of French Café tunes (I think it may have been titled French Café, appropriately enough), the other, Madeleine Peyroux’s album Half the Perfect World.


Madeleine is, in my opinion a “rich man’s Norah Jones” and her album contains delightful covers of Tom Waits’ (Lookin’ for) The Heart of Saturday Night and Joni Mitchell’s River, amongst others. I’d probably pick it up on special but not at Dymocks.

Have you ever watched WeatherWatch? Have you ever bought anything because of it? Or have you ever been turned on to some music from an unlikely source?

14 comments:

Chadders said...

you are a clown

Tim said...

weather watch yeah i dunna know..why were you up watching weather watch exactly?

The Borg said...

WeatherWatch Ha Ha... that is awesome.

Or have you ever been turned on to some music from an unlikely source?

I love synthesizer music, probably because its the soundtrack to anything sci-fi/astronomy related. I'm not ashamed.

Cabernet Leather said...

Lex: Did you start a blog just to tell me that?

Tim: No particular reason. It does help one to get to sleep though.

Shy: Any synth recommendations? I really like the music from "A Clockwork Orange".

The Borg said...

I haven't seen that yet. Is the soundtrack synth?

I recommend Vangelis.

Cabernet Leather said...

The soundtrack is mostly classical but the opening and main themes are synth. Wendy Carlos did the soundtrack - she's a synth pioneer. You might want to check her out if you haven't already.

I quite like the Vangelis that I've heard. They should play it on WeatherWatch...

Cabernet Leather said...

Oh yeah, an interesting fact about Wendy Carlos: she used to be a man. Walter Carlos.

Why do "sexually reassigned" people always change their name to something with the same first letter as their former name?
If you're going to go to the drastic measure of transforming genitals, surely changing a few more letters wouldn't hurt...

Chadders said...

i just may have.

i am a little concerned that you know so much about synth...

and are you talking about the original ACO or the stanley kubrick version? not that i've seen either...

The Borg said...

Wendy Carlos has quite small hands and wrists for a male-to-female transsexual.

Cabernet Leather said...

Maybe that's why (s)he decided to become a woman...to complement the feminine wrists.

Alex, I was talking about the Kubrick version - I thought that was the original? Besides the book obviously.

BSJ-rom said...

I seem to recall that everytime I ever saw WeatherWatch - the last time being quite a long time ago - they were just playing opera. I don't like opera. Kind of. Broadway is cool. And Broadway is opera. As far as I can tell anyway.

Chadders said...

no. his wasnt the original.

Axel and Manny said...

Yeah I watch it alot. One of my favourite sleeping spots is in front of fireplace. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of night to find my Nonno has fallen asleep in front of the tv. Because 'SBS and the ABC are the only interesting stations' theres a good chance I'll wake up to it. I usually then nibble on his ear until he wakes up and lets me outside...

BSJ-rom said...

Mate we need a post on Eurovision.