Monday 9 March 2009

The best Kings of Leon album


Is Youth and Young Manhood. I don't think they've been able to match the quality of songs on this, their debut album. The Kings have a raw, swampy sound that I'm sure many other bands wish they could replicate. If you are thinking about buying a Kings of Leon album, this is the one to get.

Aha Shake Heartbreak - Not bad. The whole album sounds great, but there aren't as many memorable tunes, as there are on Manhood.

Because of the Times - On this album, the boys went for a more sonic vibe, and it works pretty well. Half of the songs on here are brilliant ('Fans', 'Arizona', 'The Runner', 'On Call'), the rest of the album is decent but not super.

Only by the Night - A grand attempt, and you have to give them credit for trying out a different sound. The songs tick all the boxes but they didn't make me want to re-play them. In my opinion, what made them so exciting on Youth and Young Manhood, is not present on this album (something that I can't really back up, because this album is by far their biggest hit. Clearly I'm in the minority).

5 comments:

Alexander said...

Bearing in mind your recent post about the Limp Bizkit page, Der, I wonder how this post will hold up in 10 years?

Post about Connetticut!

Cabernet Leather said...

Ha! A good call, perhaps. But I'm not saying it's a classic or that Kings of Leon will be remembered in 10 years, but I maintain it's a good album.

Trace said...

I'm with you. Youth and Young Manhood is, I would actually say, an awesome album and will stand the test of time. It was before Caleb Followill discovered diction. I can only presume that he is not singing about sex being on fire, and if he was, I'm glad I could remain oblivious to it for a good 5 years.
I sometimes shed a metaphorical tear for the Kings of old.

Alexander said...

You know, it's been 15 years since Beck put out Loser. That's the same space of time between Sgt. Pepper's and Thriller. In just 10 years, your post could hold up very well.

Cabernet Leather said...

Ha ha! Time will tell, I guess. Also, thanks for indirectly comparing me to The Beatles.

Tracey, I think most of the songs on this album are roughly about sex being on fire; it's just that, as you say, you can't understand a word that comes out of Caleb F's mouth. Which makes for a better sound, in my opinion.