Monday 4 May 2009

Great Opening Tracks

Some albums kick off with a smash hit single, dedicate the next three or four tracks to singles and then get progressively worse with every track after that. In that context, of course the first song on the album is going to be a "great opening track"; this isn't what I'm talking about. I think a great opening track has to be a part of a great album. While, on one level, it will have the honour of being a first impression of an album full of equally good songs, it will also be irreplaceable as the opening track; perfectly placed.

Here are some of the most memorable opening tracks:

Break On Through (To The Other Side) - The Doors (The Doors)
I can't describe why, but this song would be a good start to any album. It's such a short, sharp, punchy, aggressively catchy song!

Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan (Highway 61 Revisited)
This song stands alone on it's own merit, but within the context of Highway 61 Revisited, it is an awesome achievement.

Come Together - The Beatles (Abbey Road)
Here's an example of the softer, perhaps riskier, opening to an album.

London Calling - The Clash (London Calling)
Those steady, urgent opening chords...

Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen (Born To Run)
By the time this song is finished, you are left totally pumped for whatever else the Boss has to throw at you in this album. You don't even care that the next track isn't half as good.

Debaser - Pixies (Doolittle)
I love how the album starts with a just a bass line, and then blasts into wild, catchy, addictive, glory. The order that the songs are in on Doolittle (the best Pixies album without a doubt) is pure genius.

Fight Test - The Flaming Lips (Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots)
This concept(?) album begins wonderfully with an accidental Cat Stevens rip-off that will be familiar to many.

Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys (Pet Sounds)
Now, I'm not much of a Pet Sounds fan and I'm definitely not a Beach Boys fan but this song deserves its place in great opening track history.

Neighbourhood #1 (Tunnels) - Arcade Fire (Funeral)
It's great how this song builds in intensity until it has reached the powerful sound that will sustain the rest of the album.

Hourly, Daily - You Am I (Hourly, Daily)
This is strange: an acoustic little ditty, opening up a classic Oz rock album? Yes, and it works perfectly. I suppose you could call this a semi-concept album (the whole album takes place over a day... not that the length is 24 hours... you know what I mean). The title track serves as a prologue to Good Mornin', and I often remember the lyrics "don't let there be something sour in my coffee, fourteen year olds are screaming 'get out of my country'".

Can you think of any others?

13 comments:

Christian said...

Although you haven't posted a lot of homages to glam rock, from my memory of your taste, I can't believe you haven't added "Welcome to the Jungle" to the list, or have your tastes changed so much. Anyway, a great opening to a very well crafted album, to be sure.

Cabernet Leather said...

Don't worry Christian, I still have a place for glam rock. And I can't believe I forgot that song! Excellent suggestion.

"If you got the money honey, we got your disease". Classic.

Unknown said...

"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie
"Five Years", David Bowie

Unknown said...

I can't believe you didn't include "Five Years" by David Bowie.

"Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" is also a pretty good opener.

Cabernet Leather said...

Well 'Five Years' should go without saying, because it's on a perfect album! Doesn't hurt to mention it 10 times though.

Alexander said...

Great post.

Alexander said...

"Rocks Off" on Exile on Main Street, which just squeaks in to the great albums category in my book. The intro is so atonal and jarring, like Keith made a mistake. And when the horns come in you get really pumped.

"Search and Destroy" from Raw Power. The moment it blasts out of your speakers it's like whoa, then the second guitar comes in, then the solo. Whoa whoa. The only song on the (original) album that kept Iggy's original mix.

"Tupelo" from The Firstborn is Dead (it's also the last track). Ominous bass, sounds of rain, someone starts ranting. No it's not Iron Man.

"Skunk" from Now I Got Worry. I gave this album to a friend and he didn't make it past the first 10 seconds. Rock.

"Sunday Morning" from The Velvet Underground and Nico. Because it's so out of place with the rest of the album, but still beautiful.

Oh, and I see what you did there, sneaking in one new band.

Cabernet Leather said...

Yes yes yes yes, great suggestions, but I haven't heard that Jon Spencer album. I take it you recommend it?

The Stones have some terrific openers. 'Brown Suger' and 'Gimme Shelter' are up there with 'Rocks Off'.

Alexander said...

Haven't listened to Now I Got Worry in years, which makes me worry (get it?) that it's not a classic. But I'm sure it's still great.

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

I am loving this... so many good songs on so many good albums.

I'll never forget the chills that went up my twelve-year-old spine the first time I put Abbey Road on a record player... I think that they don't come much rockier than 'Debaser', and I think that JML's additions are GOLD ('Wanna be startin somethin' always makes me want to start something and 'Five years'... enough said), but I think that 'Mother' on John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band is perhaps the most devastating opening track ever. Pow.

Cabernet Leather said...

Oh yes, 'Mother' is gut-wrenching. And a very unusual track to open with. Great suggestion.

Mikey Lynch said...

Five years is the best, I think. Five years.

But can I also add the first track of Nirvana's four albums:

- Blew from Bleach
- Smells like... from Nevermind
- Serve the servants from In Utero
- About a girl from Unplugged

Oh! Oh! Oh! and Sonic Youth do a great job too:

- 100% from Dirty
- Teenage Riot from Daydream Nation.

Cabernet Leather said...

I can take or leave Nirvana's songs... but 'Teenage Riot' yes! What a great suggestion.