Thursday 21 May 2009

Keep It Hid


I highly recommend the debut solo album by Black Keys singer and guitarist Dan Auerbach. It's a very solid and surprisingly diverse collection of songs and you instantly get the impression that the Bach is loving the freedom of not doing a Black Keys album (not that there's anything wrong with that) . Keep It Hid opens with the gospel-tinged 'Trouble Weighs A Ton' and followed by the rocking 'I Want Some More', you have to wonder where on earth this album is taking you. The tracks draw their influence from various genres, including country, gospel, and 70s rock; but it's clear that Dan Auerbach has a genuine love for blues music. If this all sounds a bit 'adult contemporary', like something Ray Lamontagne would release - fear not! There's enough fuzzy, dirty guitar and psychedelic moments to steer this album well out of the path of bland, flavour of the month mediocrity. There's enough Black Keyishness (goodness me, what a painful description) to please fans of that band but not too much to make this project a pointless exercise.

The Bach has an awesome voice; so textured, whatever that means. Also, at times (especially in the Black Keys), he sounds like he's singing into a tin can, but in a good way. Apparently some of the lyrics for this album were written by his dad, although there's nothing in the liner notes that confirms it (EDIT: Yes there is! 'Whispered Words' by Charles Auerbach). Keep It Hid should not be kept hidden but... made visible? Kept in the clear? Whatever, just give it a listen.

6 comments:

Nick G said...

Love the self-effacing cover. BTW What is it with psychedelia ATM? Everyone seems to be going nuts for it.

Cabernet Leather said...

I think we're just at that stage of the cyclical nature of popular music. People are getting bored of straight-down-the-line songs.

Alistair Bain said...

CL. I'm not bored of them. Give me a melody I can sing along to and a simple chord structure and I'm in Eden.

But I will check this guy out.

Cabernet Leather said...

Al, I reckon you might seriously like this guy. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUlZB8TFQjs

Definitely a sing-able melody and a simple chord structure.

Alistair Bain said...

Pryderi. You're right. I love it. Absolutely my type of music. The sort of stuff that makes me want to sit down and listen.

I guess I was led astray by Nick's comment about psychedelia and had no idea what he meant. I was expecting some sort of Doors/George Clinton funk thing.

I'm getting this album.

Cabernet Leather said...

Great! Let me know what you think of the album.