Monday 1 December 2008

Classic Albums That Are Not Classic

Don McLean - American Pie



Half of the songs on this album are just filler to justify the album's existence based on only the title track. 'American Pie' is a good song but I'd be happy if I never listened to it again (too many crusty pub classics can do you harm). 'Vincent' is an excellent song that I really like. The rest of the songs are pedestrian folk/pop, not awful but not worthy of a place on anything considered "classic".

If you're a fifty year old, you might enjoy this album for the blast of nostalgia it probably deliverers, but I don't get it - the poetry seems far too sentimental, and there's not much on here that hasn't been done far better by Simon and Garfunkel.

Not classic.

2 comments:

Mikey Lynch said...

And The Grave man! What a powerful song!

Cabernet Leather said...

'The Grave' is good, but I reckon Don's voice diminishes the song's power.