Tuesday 15 May 2007

Fantastic Imagary

You know those moments when you wake up to find your face smudged with purple eyeliner and lipstick, and there are two lemons in your bed? Well that was me yesterday morning. It took me a little while to remember why I resembled The Joker, after he fell into the acid. It was of course, because I went to Jolly's Eurovision party the night before.

I was most fortunate to have seen the highly acclaimed Hungarian transsexual PiPi perform her latest hit single "True Fantasy" with her band PiPi's Pretzels, in front of a somewhat bewildered audience.

Let me introduce the band members:


Sleazy Jim (Band manager)



The Cowboy


Curly Ju-Ju


PiPi


Madam A-Go Go


Eye-Candy Heinz


Together they are "PiPi's Pretzel".

I can't really comment on the actual Eurovision song contest because I was too busy trying on women's clothing while it was on...but I will say that I was very impressed by the Ukraine and France.

I'll leave you with the inspiring words from PiPi's hit song.

"People always judged me
when I walked the streets*
They think how I am on the outside
is how I want to be

But inside I am free -
to be me!"

*Literary scholars, music critics and fans have all speculated on the meaning of this line. Many books have been written about it. Is it just a straight forward, literal reference to walking down the street? Or could it be a passing hint at PiPi's rumoured career as a prostitute? Critical analysis of PiPi's lyrics have left many minds baffled but she is well known for her deep, multi-layered, poetic turn of phrase, which would point toward the latter interpretation. In her 1987 song "Don't be such a big girl", PiPi used this clever line to criticise the Hungarian Prime Minister Károly Grósz and his communist regime. A deeper look at the song, also indicated that PiPi was singing against hormonal increase in gender reassignment surgery (a worrying trend in late 80s Europe, which lead to many male-to-female transsexuals taking steroids to boost their testosterone levels after the operation, causing them to become larger than average ladies). So who was she really speaking to when she sang "Don't be such a big girl"? Her fellow Post-ops or the Prime Minister? It's not unfeasible to conclude that PiPi was singing about both these things. She has been quoted as saying "my art is for everybody...my transformation is my art". This makes things a little easier for us, when delving into the magical kingdom of double entendre and political opinion that are PiPi's lyrics.

8 comments:

BSJ-rom said...

I could have sworn there was a James Dean apparition...

Chadders said...

i think this blogs needs to die a very fast death...

Tim said...

der your an idiot

Tim said...

those images belong on sbs at 1145pm not on ur blog!

BSJ-rom said...

TV, here we come!

BSJ-rom said...

BTW, any news on my belt???

The Borg said...

Pipi is incredible. After the other night, I have moved from her No. 1 fan to her No. 0 fan!

Thanks for unpacking Pipi's lyrics. Maybe you can give us an analysis of True Fantasy's chorus?

The Borg said...

What is The Cowboy measuring with his thumb and forefinger in that photo?