Thursday 24 May 2007

Man, I feel like a woman

Over the last few days I've been feeling a little demasculated. I'm not entirely sure why...

I tried listening to some manly music, in the hope of re-claiming some of my stolen testosterone. So I rocked out to the tunes of Elton John and the Scissor Sisters...but to no avail.

I'm thinking of having a "Man day". During "Man day", I will listen to some of the manliest man-tunes I can get my manly hands on. The problem is, finding man-tunes is a lot harder than I first anticipated.

The most manly form of music I could think of (80s Hair metal), turned out to be...

...slightly less manly than I'd anticipated.

What do real men listen to? For some reason (goodness knows why), I own a CD called "The World's Best Ever Beer Songs". Needless to say, it's not very good. But are these "beer songs" the man-tunes I'd been searching for? Maybe, but I wish not to listen to awful, awful, awful songs like Copperhead Road and Mustang Sally. I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of the "best" (subjective, I know) music from the last 50 years, was not particularly manly. Bob Dylan and David Bowie, at times could be considered androgynous, certainly not afraid of make up. The Beatles loved matching outfits. Marvin Gaye's surname is "Gaye". Leonard Cohen could be considered by some as a slight pansy. And as for Frank Zappa...

...well.

He is quite hairy though, to be fair to him.

When I speak of man-tunes though, I am referring to overtly macho tunes (which I generally dislike) that will overcompensate for my drag queen adventures of the past week. I have been listening to some Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen, both of which I consider to be masculine.

I think that's been doing the trick, but can anyone recommend me some more man-tunes?
Happy "Man day" everyone.

21 comments:

BSJ-rom said...

There is one answer. Louis Armstrong. Sinatra, whilst amazing was too much of a pretty boy.

The Borg said...

1. Surely Bell and Sebastian; you can rock out, chill out and "man out" to. Why, they're so manly they love men.

2. How about Midnight Oil? Powderfinger? Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

3. As a girl, am I allowed to wish you a "happy man day?"

Jason said...

A Man Day must consist of more than just music, although you're on the right track.

I'm thinking, beer, BBQ, Motorsports, and some sort of physical activity.
More sport can't hurt. You could consider it a 'Good Measure'.

Anonymous said...

The manliest music i can think of is neo-nazi soccer hooligan oi!, or russell crowes band. them or young aled jones.

gwyd :)

Cabernet Leather said...

Jerome: What's so manly about Louis?

Shy: 1. I love "man-ing out" to Bell and Sebastian as much as the next bloke but I think perhaps they're too manly for man day.
2. Good suggestions. Midnight Oil...can't believe I didn't think of that. That's as manly and Oz as they come.
3. Yes. Girls can celebrate man day too, you know...

Jason: But of course, I do all those things anyway! Except for motorsports.

Cabernet Leather said...

Gwyd: You mean "Agnostic Front", are they manly?

Robbo said...

Despite Freddie Mercury's gayness, I think some of Queen's songs are pretty manly. "We are the champions" and "We will rock you" seem pretty manly from first glance.

Midnight oil are too political to be manly. I guess you can define manliness as you like but to me "Beds are burning" is a classic example of unmanliness. If they were really manly Garrett would be singing about v8 holden commodores and beer, not about Aboriginal rights.

And on the beer theme, Slim Dusty. "I love to have a beer with Duncan 'cause Duncan's me mate" How more manly can you get!

BSJ-rom said...

The only high pitched thing about Louis is his trumpet.

Angus said...

Manly songs:

"Down Under" by Men At Work
"Khe Sahn" by Cold Chisel

Of course, if you want something really manly, may I suggest gangsta rap music. Sure, it may have misogynistic overtones, but there is nothing more manly than poppin' a cap in someone's ass, then "banging chicks" in the back of your Bentley. It combines the cultural ideals of masculinity (money, physical strength and sexual prowess) with a hot club beat. I suggest "If I Can't" by 50 Cent, "Higher" by Game, and "Bitches Ain't Sh@#" by Dr Dre (you might like the Ben Folds version).

The Borg said...

but there is nothing more manly than poppin' a cap in someone's ass, then "banging chicks" in the back of your Bentley.

Hey Mr. Strunk and White, I think you mean "than".

Cabernet Leather said...

Grammar is NOT manly. But I don't see anything wrong with Angus' sentence.

Good suggestions. I'm going to compile a "Man playlist".

The Librarian said...

Red hot chilli peppers' album "blood sugar sex magic" could be marketed as pure testosterone for those going through (true condition) "Man-o-pause".

Good idea.

Also Acca dacca - hmmm, short shorts in a school uniform , maybe not...

Cabernet Leather said...

"Man-o-Pause"... wow. It's nice to finally put a name to the symptoms.

Angus said...

Hey Mr. Strunk and White, I think you mean "than".

Sorry to disappoint you, Ms Grammar Nazi (although I appreciate the attempt and hope you will continue to harp on grammar in the future - it is a favourite past time of mine), but I was right with this one.

but there is nothing more manly than poppin' a cap in someone's ass, then "banging chicks" in the back of your Bentley.

I was talking about a timeline. Eg:
7:45: Pop a cap in someone's ass.
8:00: bang chicks in the back of your Bentley.

In that scenario, "then" is the correct word. If I had used "than", I would have thought about including a semi-colon between the clauses.

BSJ-rom said...

Finally somebody who doesn't annihilate this language. Aw shucks. Burnie isn't good enough for you Angus.

The Borg said...

You're right Oh Elements of Style. For some reason I read your sentence as a comparative; poppn' caps vs bangin' chicks.

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

'Eye of the Tiger' is the manliest mancat song I know.

Unknown said...

Strunk & White is a man's style guide. No prissing about with flowery adjectives, just solid, manly verbs.

Also, I know I'm late to this party, but guys...

WHERE'S THE JOHNNY CASH!?

Cabernet Leather said...

JML, I'll be sure to include Johnny Cash in the next man-list.

Alexander said...

What is manlier than the lead singer of Rammstein, in concert, riding a giant penis that later ejaculates?

Alexander said...

Oh, and the Rolling Stones? Not exactly the most manly of singers:

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2007/10/08-15/mick_jagger.jpg