Thursday 18 September 2008

Pfft. Amateurs!

Not to sound like a snob, but I hate it how actors in amateur musicals (and other theatrical productions - I just said musicals to keep this in theme with the rest of my blog) put on grotesquely exaggerated Australian accents - often in bits that are meant to be funny. The UniRevue is a case in point. Why do they do this? Does it happen naturally when they project their voice? Or are they under the misapprehension that the voice is funny? No one talks like that; even the most boganic of creatures would turn their nose up if they encountered someone speaking with that kind of voice.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Boganic? Not boganish?

Cabernet Leather said...

That's right. Boganic.

Alan said...

Is this similar to the "TripleJ voice" Mikey talked about this evening at TBT I wonder..

Cabernet Leather said...

I don't think so but I wasn't there so I can't confirm or deny it.

Nick G said...

Kate and I like talking about the NIDA (national institute for dramatic arts) over-ennunciated australian accent as featured in Australian movies and series: "Fair Go MATE she was with me, that's a low-act."

Cabernet Leather said...

Yes, that's exactly it! National Institute for Dramatic Accents.