Monday 22 September 2008

Walking Songs

Plenty of crusty compilation CDs have been released with titles like "The Best Ever Driving (bogan) Songs". The concept of driving songs has been discussed to death, but you don't often hear about walking songs. Some songs are really good for walking.

There's a definite type of song that I like to walk to. The song doesn't have to be about walking, but it usually will be about thinking or reflecting - things that happen when you walk by yourself. Most often, walking songs will be slower than driving songs. That makes a lot of sense because the average human will be slower than the average car (you heard it here first!). Apart from that, I can't quite put my finger on why some songs are better for walking than others... I think it helps if the singer is walking in the video clip.

Here are some songs I like to tune into when I walk:

The Wanderer - U2 and Johnny Cash
Streets of Philadelphia - Bruce Springsteen
Ain't Talkin' - Bob Dylan
Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Moonlight Mile - Rolling Stones
Have You Ever Seen the Rain?* - CCR
California Dreamin' - The Mamas and the Papas
The Unforgettable Fire - U2
Downbound Train - Bruce Springsteen

Does anyone else have any walking classics?

*Yes I have.

8 comments:

Mikey Lynch said...

it's not quite walking.... but after the opening scene of Trainspotting I can't run without getting 'Lust for Life' by Iggy Pop in my head.

Cabernet Leather said...

Funny - I can't inject heroin without getting that song in my head.

Jonny said...

How about some running songs. You may arrive to places on time. :)

Jonny said...

Please don't hit me.

Cabernet Leather said...

LOL

Alexander said...

Well, there's always Patsy Cline's "I go a-walking", but that's best listened to on night walks.

Also, Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve is very appropriate, but it's very hard to not run into people.

Cabernet Leather said...

Oh yeah, those are some good ones! Bittersweet Symthony is one of the very best walking songs.

Mikey Lynch said...

"everybody's talkin'" by Harry Nilsson
"bojangles man" by jerry jeff walker
"atomic" by blondie (if you are a tough chick with boots
"saturday night fever" by the BeeGees (if you have a sexy walk)
"i'll follow the sun" by the Beatles (if you are leaving home with just a knapsack)