Monday 20 October 2008

90s Aussie Alternative Rock Bands

There were some fairly successful bands around this country in the nineties. There were also quite a few that didn't do so well but still gathered a bit of following, through live shows and Triple J airplay. Some of these bands I couldn't stand while some others I remember quite fondly (but vaguely). At its best, I think the music that these bands produced was better than some of Australia's more popular groups - I've never been a huge Silverchair or Something For Kate fan and I get significantly closer to death when I hear the Hoodoo Gurus or Hunters and Collectors. Poisonous stuff.

Here are some bands I remember being pretty good back in the day, but have since defunct or have disappeared into further obscurity:

Ammonia - they had some great songs like 'You're Not The Only One'.

Violetine - I used to love the song 'Any Day'.

Pollyanna - This person has several videos of this underrated band. Check them out.

Even - Remember their really cruisy song 'Black Umbrella'?

Some bands I didn't like nor dislike:

Not From There - They were from Brisbane but had that German song 'Sich Offnen'.

Screamfeeder - Another Brisbane band. I don't remember any standout songs so here's a segment of them on the show 'Recovery'. So nineties!

Deadstar - Had some pretty good songs. I used to find their song 'Deeper Water' pretty annoying at the time, but quite enjoyed listening to it again just now.

Skunkhour - 'Up To Our Necks In It' was such a cheesy song but also very likeable.

Shocking, awful, embarrassing bands that I will not link any songs to because I don't want to remember or promote them:

The Fauves - These guys seemed to have a bit of cred and I didn't mind a few of their songs, but 'Bigger Than Tina' was so bad it erased anything half-decent they may have made from my memory.

Happyland - When you mix two rubbish bands (Spiderbait and Regurgitator), the result is bound to be dismal. I could have told them that before they made an album.

Custard - Just a little too silly for me. I could never take Dave McCormack seriously, although he is pretty talented.

Loki - Really bad, amateur rock trio. Can't believe I even remember them.

Any others?

9 comments:

Angus said...

Wow, I'd forgotten how good "Deeper Water" was! That took me right back to high school!

Cabernet Leather said...

Yeah that song was played heaps when I was in grade 10 or 11. It is pretty good.

Ben Walter said...

I saw Screamfeeder live once, they were great.

You should do some investigations into Ratcat, who are popularly thought to have the first Australian "alternative" band to do really well.

Cabernet Leather said...

I shall do that, Benny.

Cabernet Leather said...

Thought of another: Lo-tel. They had that song 'Teenager of the Year'. Wasn't a fan.

Nick G said...

Man I love that teenager of the year song. Wistful. Nath Facebooks status was that he was listening to Knievel, that took me back.

Anonymous said...

JEBEDIAH ! FROM PERTH WA

guitar picks said...

Wow! I did not know Ammonia was based in Australia. I like their song “You’re Not the Only One.” One of my wildest dreams is meeting them in person. Good luck with your career. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I actually loved Loki! I wish they had gone further.