Friday 3 October 2008

Your bessht? Losers always whine about their bessht...

I think one of the secret ingredients to being a credible alternative pop band is to be Scottish. Just be from Scotland and sing with a slightly milder Scottish accent than what you would speak with, have lovely jangly guitars, understated lyrics and harmonic choruses. Have nice Scottish haircuts and wear scarfs and warm Scottish jackets. Don't wear a kilt, that's overdoing it. I think that guy from Korn wore a kilt, and you don't want that kind of look... Have a cute band name like "Travis" or "Belle and Sebastian".

Using that same secret ingredient, you can also become an over hyped, overplayed, top 40 rock band. Think of 'Snow Patrol', 'Idlewild' (is there any difference?) and 'Franz Ferdinand'.

I have created my own Scottish pop band (well it's just me and my imaginary friends), which I will unveil in a later post.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh... where would we be without The Rock, perhaps Connery's finest hour.

Cabernet Leather said...

It's certainly my favourite Sean Connery film.

Mikey Lynch said...

i think Teenage Fanclub were Scottish too. A little bit older, but still fitting the accepted Pryderian typology

Alexander said...

Also that band Kurt liked, the Vaselines I think? They did the "Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam" song.

And also that band a few years ago that had breathless girl talk-singing over indie-pop.

My musical knowledge has degraded fast, my brain must be filling up with other stuff.

Cabernet Leather said...

You can't remember the name of girl talk indie-pop band? It sounds kind of familiar...