Thursday 20 November 2008

Bands vs Singer-Songwriters

Do you listen more to bands or to individual songwriters? A study of my CD collection has revealed I have more albums by bands, but not by a large margin. A few years ago I thought bands were the only legitimate form of music; I couldn't stand the idea of solo artists. Now though, I think I listen more to singer-songwriters than bands. When I say "singer-songwriter", I don't just mean some earnest, acoustic guitar-strumming, ballad maker; I'm talking about multi-instrumentalists and people that have a backing band, as well.

I reckon people that perform and have more control over their own songs, are able to create a more personal feeling in their music. I'm more likely to "connect" with individual songwriters than to the music of a group of people. Bands seem to treat songs differently because there's usually only one or two people that have had input into the lyrics and meaning of a song, and the more people involved the less personal it becomes. I'm not knocking the idea of bands - I like them, but if I wrote songs I don't think I'd want other people messing with them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I agree, in that I like the band sound, but it can be diluted by people not involved in the creative process. When I thought about it, I realised that some of my favourite bands are those where the albums are solely performed by 1 or 2 people, but on tour the band has a full ensemble. Like Nine Inch Nails or Smashing Pumpkins. Which strikes me as a bit artificial, which I don't normally like, but I guess I'll just live with the contradiction.

JK said...

I think I like a buzz of both, But still, bands just win it for me

Alistair Bain said...

I've got a few bands but a look through my collection reveals a definite trend towards the singer/songwriter. I think it's because I like a stripped back, honest sound. (Having said that I've got some Van Halen and White Stripes for when I'm wearing my lycra. I'd love to get some Darkness too....)

But it's the s/s for me. Nick Drake (you've got to check this guy out), neil young, phil ochs, lior, morrissey, jimmy webb (the greatest of them all), ron sexsmith, james taylor, carol king, ben folds, sara groves ....

Cabernet Leather said...

Big fan of Nick Drake - 'Five Leaves Left' is one of my favourite albums.

Alistair Bain said...

Another Nick Drake fan!!!!!

I'm liking you more and more Music Man.