Monday 10 November 2008

Pseudo Reggae

I think one of the worst types of songs is something I will call "white-man-pseudo-reggae". It seemed to be particularly popular during the 70s and consists of British rock bands (or singers) trying their hand at reggae. Usually, one of these songs will appear on an otherwise completely rock n roll album, making it stick out like a sore thumb, while being as equally painful as one.

Here are some examples:

Elton John - 'Jamaica Jerk-off' from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
The Rolling Stones - 'Luxury' from It's Only Rock 'n' Roll
Led Zeppelin - 'D'yer Mak'er' from Houses of the Holy
UB40 - All of their songs from all of their albums.

This practice of "white-man-pseudo-reggae" is not unlike a misguided, middle aged man that skateboards to work, in order to be like the younger people.
I don't mind reggae in limited doses. I like Bob Marley. But it just sounds so wrong when people that are so obviously not Bob Marley "give it a go".

7 comments:

Alexander said...

When I was on the beach at Goa the singer from UB40 was playing a set, just a laptop and him. He introduced himself as "hi, I'm the singer from UB40". After he sang Red Red Wine I yelled out "play the other one".

Even though I Come From A Land Down Under is cod-reggae, I still sing it to myself sometimes, part of a set of cheesy missing-home songs that also includes Khe Sanh
and he first verse and chorus of Peter Allen/Qantas' I Still Call Australia Home.

Cabernet Leather said...

Ha! That's classic. "Hi , I'm the singer from UB40".

Qantas would be so pleased to know that you sing that song when abroad...

Laura said...

What about that white kid who sang "Informer"? Surely it's the most offensive of this whole genre.

Unknown said...

Ob-La-Di is reggae, but a little faster. Sting & the Police also have reggae influences.

I've also been told that ska has reggae roots. I think white men should be encouraged to make ska.

Alexander said...

I think reggae has ska roots. After the old guys of rock tried reggae in the 70s, new-wave post-punk ska guys popped up in England, then California. Original ska is good, some English ska is good.

The rule seems to be, every 70s/80s ska/reggae band had two good songs.

Cabernet Leather said...

English rockers would mantain a little more dignity if they did more ska, less reggae.

Laura, do you think 'Informer' is reggae? I'm not sure. I see it as rap with an over the top Afro-Carribean accent... still a terrible song though.

Laura said...

Well, reggae ENOUGH, surely.