Wednesday 12 November 2008

Shit Songs on Perfect Albums

An idea of Mikey's.

'Zoo Station' from Achtung Baby (U2)
Not sure how many would agree but I've always thought this album gets off to a bad start. I love all of its other songs but could never get into this one.

'Dr Robert' and 'Yellow Submarine' from Revolver (The Beatles) Could almost include 'Taxman' but I'll admit it's a well written song. 'Dr Robert' is just a nothing song and 'Yellow Submarine' is irritating and silly.

'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' from Abbey Road (The Beatles)Faaaaaaaaar too long. I know it makes 'Here Comes the Sun' more appropriate but I still can't listen to the whole thing.

'Dead Flowers' from Sticky Fingers (The Rolling Stones)
Not a terrible song, but I don't think it fits on this album.

'Sulk' from The Bends (Radiohead)
It's just not as good as the other songs. Mikey also mentioned 'Bones' but I like that one.

'Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)' from Pet Sounds (The Beach Boys)
Too much saccharine. This song nauseates me. It almost ruins the album for me but not quite.

'Romance in Durango' from Desire (Bob Dylan)
I always have to skip this one; it really grates with me. Unfortunately, 'Abandoned Love' is a brilliant song that was left off this album... I know what I'd swap it with.

Any others?

8 comments:

Mikey Lynch said...

Interesting choices! Can I disagree first?

I really like Zoo Station... especially as the opening to the ZooTV live show. Have you seen that Der? Watch it and that song will never be the same: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=I5omeaIIcbc

Alexander said...

Second!

I once set fire to Mikey's living room in Heathfield to "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" - emptied an ashtray into a bin, it caught fire, so I started hitting it with a towel, the bin knocked over and the fire spread to a plastic leather chair, which went up with a 'whoomp' and a roomful of nightmarish black toxic smoke. I got it out just when "Here Comes The Sun" started.

If You See Her Say Hello - Blood On The Tracks.

Astrid said...

that wierd computer voice song on radiohead ok computer

Angus said...

I don't hate this song completely, and the little reference to how drunk girls sound almost saves it, but...

'Drunk and hot girls' from Graduation (Kanye West)

The rest of the album is a tour de force. This song just feels out of place and like it should have been a b-side.

Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

You cannot even contemplate putting 'Taxman' on that list. It's edgy and awesome... just ask The Jam. Yellow Submarine I'll give you, but not Dr Robert. It's all about context...

I think it's a bit harsh to call Zoo Station shit. It's an intro, warm-up song. Like 'Is this it?' on the Strokes album of the same name.

And 'I want you' is not shit. It's an exercise in repetition. I love the way it builds and ends. It makes more sense when you think about it as the last song on side one of the album.

Aah, the great fire of Heathfield! Those were the days...

Alexander said...

At last!

Pablo speaks the truth.

Cabernet Leather said...

Even setting fire to a living room can't get me to like that song. It would've made an awesome film clip though!

Emi said...

I actually like Sulk... but I could happily listen to all the songs on The Bends and not feel like skipping a single track.