Friday 21 November 2008

Christian Music

I downloaded the Sojourn Christmas album recently, and was surprised to find myself actually liking it. I normally hate the concept and results of both "Christmas albums" and "Christian music", but this one seems an exception.

This got me thinking about why Christian music is usually so awful, and if it is possible for good (as subjective as that may be) Christian music to exist.



I think one of the main reasons behind Christian music's unlistenable quality, is the reasoning behind its existence. Many Christian bands exist as an alternative to secular bands, so that Christian kids can listen to music that won't be a bad influence on them. Perhaps the people that believe this also believe that music as an art form is "of the world" and Christians need to create their own version of it... That sort of thinking is definitely wrong - music comes from God and is a good thing; it isn't evil. It also explains why this sort of Christian music sounds so bad - because it isn't genuine; it is an imitation of music.

Another reason why Christian music so often sucks: because there is a huge market for it, especially in America. This means there are many bands competing for attention and for money (much like any section of the music industry), which doesn't encourage originality or innovation, it encourages bands to stick to the formula. This leaves room for vague but equally rubbish bands like Creed to pop up, sing about God a little, and sell some records at Koorong.

Christian culture, particularly Christian music, is still in the 1990s. Not so long ago it was still in the 1980s. This explains why there are so many post-grunge Christian guitar bands rockin' out for the Lord. In the 90s, bands like The Newsboys and DC Talk were called a lot of things but I doubt it was ever "ahead of their time".



Here are some more personal reasons why I don't usually listen to Christian music:

- For whatever reason, I just can't bring myself to listen to "praise" music recreationally. I like singing it in Church, but I wouldn't normally put it on at home. I think this has more to do with the sound of the music than the subject matter; I like the Sojourn CD after all...

- I tend to enjoy music that's more understated, lyrics that are more ambiguous, and I prefer a song's "vibe" over its reason for being written.

Christian music isn't all bad though. Here are some examples of Christian music that works well and is pleasing to listen to:

U2 - because they are not a "Christian band", they are a band. A very good band.

Johnny Cash - He was such a legendary figure to most people, that it doesn't really matter to them what he believes.

Sufjan Stevens - He's a brilliant songwriter and musician, and that has cemented him in the music community, even though he does write some undeniably Christian-tinged lyrics.

Sinéad O'Connor's 'Theology' - I don't know what Sinéad believes, only that she's not too pumped for the Pope, but this album is really good and the songs are based on parts of the Old Testament. I read an interview she did about making this album, where she said something about the Old Testament being much cooler than the New Testament - if you write a song about loving Jesus, it's daggy, but if you quote the Psalms then it's poetic. I reckon there's some truth in that.

Bob Dylan's 'Slow Train Coming' - I know he got a lot of crap for his Christian period but at the same time, Bob Dylan was such a legend, there are people willing to follow him in any musical direction he chooses to take. This is is best album from that period and it contains some really cool gospel songs.

Anything 'Gospel' - Genuine gospel music will always be cool.



Basically, I think Christian music is good when it doesn't try too hard; when the artists' faith is a more natural part of self-expression, which it will be if they are making music as a Christian anyway.

What do you guys think about Christian music? Do you ever listen to it?

15 comments:

Alexander said...

Sometimes I like to wake up early and watch Australian 'praise' programs in India. They have them.

Is Nick Cave christian music? Sometimes?

Cabernet Leather said...

I reckon he kind of is. He uses a lot of biblical imagary in his songs.

NC and the Badseeds are coming to Hobart next year, supported by The Saints. Could be awesome.

Alexander said...

Wow, I've never seen Nick Cave perform. Or have I? I can't remember. It must not have been memorable if I did.

When are they coming? I may need to get tickets in advance. Even though I don't like any album since The Boatman's Call.

I think I know someone who knew someone who told him about partying with Nick after a Birthday Party concert in Hobart in the 80s, he ended up crashing a car. My word verificaton says creapp.

Cabernet Leather said...

January 12, at the DEC. When do you come back?

'Lyre of Orpheus/Abattoir Blues' is pretty good.

Alexander said...

Ah crapola, was planning late Jan.

Renae said...

I think you got that about right. For me there's always been something that stops me from liking Christian music. It could be just that. To quote Lano & Woodley, "because it's not very good!" (although they weren't talking about Christian music!) I think we often feel obliged to like it, even when it just isn't very good.

A few potential reasons why people like it:

- It helps us get into a frame of mind where we can worship. It fills our minds with thoughts about God, and helps us to focus.

- This may seem harsh, but sometimes people who don't know a lot about music like their Christian music. My sister readily admits that she has no sense of rhythm or appreciation of music. So she listens to only Christian music, cos for her it's all about the lyrics. Which is fair enough.

Laura said...

Um, wow, thanks for the Sojourn mention! I happen to think that Advent album is pretty special, and I think it reflects our attitude toward Christian music. The only song I don't love on the album is "What Child is This" because it sounds like Christmas music by way of the Spider-Man soundtrack.

One of the biggest problems (besides the ones you mentioned, especially the "derivative" thing) is the fact that most Christian music (especially praise music) is produced either utterly outside a community of faith OR in an attempt to make music that's going to appeal to all Christians everywhere in the world -- in other words, the songs are generic, shiny, inoffensive pop ballads, which as we all know are a dime a dozen and have a shelf life that's measurable in milliseconds.

Our vision for Sojourn's music is that it reflect both the church and the culture. Music coming from churches in Atlanta shouldn't sound the same as music coming from churches in New York or Seattle, much less from Hobart or wherever else around the world. Excellence is also a major consideration. Christians used to make the best music in the world, and church music was cutting edge. But now, we've allowed ourselves to be content with being culture-imitators rather than culture-makers.

OK, I'll stop now.

Renae said...

Hmm, very good point. I agree.

"we've allowed ourselves to be content with being culture-imitators rather than culture-makers."

Cabernet Leather said...

Yeah, very good point Laura. Most of the time we (the church) don't even do a *good* imitation of culture.

I'm pretty pumped for Soujourn music. We actually sing some of your songs at Crossroads.

The only one I don't like from the Advent CD is 'Glory Be' - just a bit too Switchfoot/Third Day/Jars of Clay etc - maybe you can tell Bobby Gilles.

Renae, I think you're right. A lot of people that like Christian music either don't like music so much or they have terrible taste!

Laura said...

Bobby is a lyricist. I think Mike Cosper, our worship/arts pastor, wrote the music. He's hugely into late 60s and 70's classic-Americana-roots rock. The intro to one of his songs that we sing a lot sounds like the riff for "Spirit in the Sky."

Laura said...

Oh, and on that "culture-imitators" thing, the worst thing is that churches try to reproduce each other's feeble imitations of 5-years-ago pop culture (cough cough Hillsong cough cough). And we're doing this... to... ATTRACT unbelievers? Talk about bass-bloody-ackwards.

fional said...

Thanks very much for the post Pryderi - you've helped clarify things for me. I agree with everything everyone's said, but I think there's an underlying thing that leads to our collective irritation.

I think we assume that these Christian musicians are *knowingly* producing substandard/culturally disengaged music.

If they are, then this displays a laziness and lack of care, and is dishonouring to God. But there's every chance they're doing it *un*knowingly, simply desiring to praise God as best they can. I'm sorry this sounds so patronising - I want it to be a rebuke and encouragement for me (and others like me) to be glad for these guys!

Laura said...

Good thought Fiona. I definitely need the reminder not to be a butthead about this issue!

I can't help but think, though, that the problem is not just that they're (knowingly or unknowingly) creating bad, derivative music. It's that WE, as a "Christian subculture," have said that it's ok for us to consume megadoses of mediocre music as long as it talks about Jesus (even if it does so imprecisely or nigh-heretically). That we have to affirm the efforts of bad Christian bands by supporting them with our wallets. It's silly. We don't do that anywhere else, do we? We surely can say, praise God for those people's fervor, but I'm still not going to buy their albums because their music is hideous. ;)

Cabernet Leather said...

Nice one Fiona. I think you're right - sometimes we judge instead of being glad for people making music for God's glory. It's a good point.

In most cases though, I'm not trying to say that people creating christian music are doing anything wrong, just that their music isn't very nice to listen to... like Laura says.

fional said...

yeah I'm not gonna buy them ;-)